Heavy Period- Diagnosis

Heavy Period- Diagnosis
If you think you are having heavy period then consult to your doctor. Your doctor will examine you, give you investigations and help you to take treatment. After knowing your menstrual and medical history if your doctor finds that you are having heavy period, then its confirmed that you have ‘menorrhagia’.

Discussion with Doctor
To identify the cause your doctor will ask

  • your medical history
  • your menstrual history
  • symptoms associated with it

They will also ask you about your menstruation, for example-

  • how many days your period extends?
  • how many pads you change a day
  • is it over flowing ( does it stain your clothes or bedding)
  • is heavy flow affecting your regular life?

Your doctor will ask you if you bleed during menstruation or after having sex, or when you feel lower abdominal pain? You need to do some physical tests and investigations to identify the cause of menorrhagia, particularly when you are having lower abdominal pain or bleeding after having sex.

Your doctor will ask you about your contraception and your will to change your recent contraception procedure, and your future plan about having a baby. Your latest cervical screening test will  also be noted.

The doctor might also ask you whether your family members are having similar problems or not, like Von Wille brand disease, which flows within  the family and which hampers blood clotting.


Depending on your medical history and physical examinations some tests and investigations may need to be done.
For example, if you are having lower abdominal pain during or after menstruation you may have hidden cancer (however, it is very rare).

Pelvic examination
If you need to to the pelvic examination your doctor will ask you if you need any female attendant or not. Pelvic examination includes-

  • per vaginal examination, cervical examination bleeding n discharge examinatiom.
  • speculam examination-it is a device which is used to examine the cervix and vagina.
  • palpation-it is a examination outside the vagina which is done to to determine the size the size of enlarged uterus and ovary.

Pelvic examination should be done by a gynaecologist only. Before doing this he/she will explain the procedure and necessity of it. You should always ask about your doubts. Please keep in mind that this procedure should not be done without your permission.

In some cases of menorrhagia biopsy is needed. It will be done by a specialist who will take tissue from uterus and examine under microscope.

Blood test
Women with heavy period need a complete blood test which help detecting iron deficiency anaemia which occurs due to prolonged blood loss. If you are having iron deficiency anaemia your doctor will give you one course of tablets or medicine suitable for you.

If all tests fails to detect the cause of heavy period you may do an ultrasonogram of uterus which will detect fibroid or polyp or other abnormalities like these. It is also used to detect cancer. Transvaginal sonography may used to have a clear picture of uterus.

About the author

Maya Expert Team