Check Out Your Maternity Service240
Questions to ask
These are some of the questions you may want to ask about a maternity service. You should also feel free to ask any other questions that you have:
About labour and delivery
- Are fathers, close relatives or friends welcome in the delivery room?
- Are they ever asked to leave the room - if so, why?
- Can I move around in labour and find my own position for the birth?
- What is the policy on induction, pain relief, routine monitoring?
- Are epidurals available?
- What equipment is available, for example mats, a birthing chair or beanbags?
- Are there birthing pools?
- How soon can I go home?
- What services are provided for sick babies?
- Who will help me to breastfeed my baby?
- Who will help me if I choose to formula feed?
- Are babies with their mothers all the time or is there a separate nursery?
- What are visiting hours?
- Are there any special rules about visiting?
Find out more details about giving birth at home or in hospital